This not-so-standard Vegan sloppy joe recipe is sure to bring smiles to the table.
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium bulb of fennel, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 10 grinds black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1.5 cups organic tomato sauce
- 1 lb. crimini mushrooms, finely chopped in a food processor
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- Heat the coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, fennel, garlic & salt. Cook until onions & fennel are translucent and have taken on a little bit of color.
- Stir in black pepper, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, smoked paprika, dijon mustard & tomato sauce. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped mushrooms to the mix & stir to coat with sauce. Cover & cook on low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Mix in the hemp seeds & serve on the (gluten-free) roll of your choice!