Asparagus is about to hit peak season. Are you ready?
- Pick out a bundle of asparagus that is bright green with closed tips & no dryness, yellowing or wilting. The size of the asparagus will change the cooking time slightly but doesn't really affect tenderness.
- Store your asparagus properly when you bring it home. I like to remove the rubber bands, stand the spears upright in a mason jar or tall container and add 1-2 inches of fresh water. Cover them with some plastic wrap or a small baggie and refrigerate for 2-3 days.
- Trim 1-2 inches off the end of the asparagus spears before cooking. In peak season the asparagus will actually get so tender that trimming may not be necessary.
How to roast:
Oven @ 425°
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 tbsp Melted ghee or coconut oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the asparagus and pat completely dry with paper towels. Spread into a single layer on a baking sheet and toss with melted ghee or coconut oil, salt & pepper. I usually use about 1/2 tsp of salt & 1/2 tsp pepper - but feel free to season to taste.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until vibrant green and lightly caramelized around the edges.