This salad is the perfect compliment to a healthy fall weekend.
Why so special?
The sweetness from a crisp apple and roasted acorn squash go perfectly with local goat cheese and toasted almonds. We top it off with our favorite orange and balsamic vinaigrette.
- 1 small acorn squash
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ground cayenne to taste
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 1 small bunch scallions, whites and greens thinly sliced
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
For the balsamic & orange vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated
1. Preheat your oven to 400° F
2. Cut the acorn squash in half and remove seeds. Slice the squash into thin half-moon pieces and add to a medium sized bowl
3. Toss the squash with coconut oil, salt, pepper, oregano and cayenne until well coated. Arrange in one layer on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 15 minutes
4. Remove the squash from the oven and flip each piece. We want the other side to be nicely browned. Put them back into the oven and cook for another 15 minutes
5. Once the squash is finished cooking, allow to cool at room temperature
**Tip: make a bunch of this squash at the beginning of the week for seasonal salads on the fly. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
6. Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients into a jar with a lid. Shake well and refrigerate until ready to use
7. Toss the arugula into a large salad bowl and prep the remaining ingredients: Scallions, apples, almonds and cheese. Add them to the bowl and mix everything together using tongs. Season with salt and pepper to taste
8. Next into the bowl goes the acorn squash. Toss again and then add the balsamic and orange vinaigrette to taste. Serve right away and enjoy the perfect combo of fall flavors!
From korKitchen to your kitchen.