Making your own nut butter is easier than you think!
This recipe happens to be one of my favorites:
- 2 cups raw organic walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest [optional]
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup [optional]
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil or vegetable oil
1. Start by soaking your nuts. Yep, that's right! Walnuts contain bitter qualities that fade when soaked overnight in water. Simply put your walnuts into a bowl and cover by 2 inches with filtered water. Allow them to soak for 6-8 hours in the fridge. You can skip this step if you'd like - but the final product may be a bit bitter.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Drain the walnuts from the soaking liquid and toss them onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes to allow them to dry out and gain some toasted flavor.
3. Add the walnuts into a food processor. It will take about 6 minutes on high speed to turn into butter. Start by processing for 3 minutes and then add your sea salt, orange zest, maple syrup and walnut oil. Continue processing, stopping when needed to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4. When it's done you should have a smooth and flavorful butter, perfect for snacking! Adjusting the final texture of the butter is also very simple. If you like a "runnier" butter, feel free to add some extra oil.
From #korKitchen to your kitchen!