It happens to be SUPER cold in #ATX right now.
That means I'm craving hot chocolate...but not just any hot chocolate:
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp alcohol free vanilla
- Zest of 2 blood oranges
- 1 tbsp blood orange juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Soak your almonds in filtered water at room temp for at least 6 hours. I like to put them in a mason jar, cover with water by 1 inch and forget about them until morning. If you skip this step your almond milk will turn out a bit watery
- Drain away the soaking liquid and add your almonds to a blender. Cover with 3 1/2 cups of water and blend for 30-60 seconds. If you have a high speed blender your milk will come together very quickly.
- Strain the milk away from the almond pulp. To do this I recommend using a nut milk bag...but a fine mesh strainer will do the job in a jiffy.
- Once strained, add your milk back to the blender and throw in the rest of the ingredients listed above. Blend together well and taste.
- Sweet enough? Awesome. This is how I like it. Like is sweeter? Add as much maple syrup as your heart desires. :)
- Next comes the heat. Pour your chocolate almond milk mixture into a kettle or small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until it begins to simmer.
Serve this hot chocolate with a twist of blood orange and a stirring spoon. Separation is normal when it comes to nut milk.
From korKitchen to your kitchen - Enjoy!