Sure they're called forgotten cookies...but I remember the first time I ever made them.
Let me set the stage here:
I'm 13 years old, It's 12:30 pm and I just woke up after sleeping 14 hours. The first thing my teenage self would do is walk to the kitchen and crack about 1 dozen eggs.
I was trying to learn how to crack them with one hand...and when it came to cooking I was a dedicated dude. I probably went through 10+ dozen eggs that week!t}
Looking back I'm most thankful for that time because a recipe was born. It wasn't exactly up to my current health standards, so with Valentines day being tomorrow I wanted to whip up an upgraded batch of these kiss shaped meringues:
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1 t cream of tartar
- 1 cup coconut sugar, finely ground (you can use a food processor or spice grinder to grind the coconut sugar)
- 2 t alcohol free vanilla extract
- 1/4 C raw hemp seeds
- 1 C enjoy life chocolate chips
Oven @350 + two parchment lined sheet pans standing by.
- Add the egg whites to a large bowl. Whip with a hand mixer until foamy & then add the cream of tartar. Continue to whip until glossy, but not completely dry (be careful...don't over beat)
- Slowly add the sugar, about 3 T at a time. When half of the total amount of sugar has been added, mix in the vanilla extract. Continue beating & adding sugar until it has all been incorporated. The meringue will be shiny & thick. This is a good thing!
- Gently fold in the hemp seeds & chocolate chips. You want to keep the air bubbles you just created alive...so easy goes the stirring
- Using a tablespoon measure, put dollops of the meringue onto your parchment lined sheet pans. Spacing = 1 inch apart. You can also use a piping bag for this if you have one - this will give you that signature kiss shape
- Put the cookies into the pre-heated oven & tun the oven off. Let them sit undisturbed for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Once they've set you'll be able to remove them from the sheet pans with a spatula. The cookies will be crunchy, delicious and a hit with everyone you love this Valentines Day!